Friday, February 28, 2014

The Craft Closet is Complete...

As you can see, I'm not sharing the finished plank wall today.  I was able to finish the office closet and am thrilled to finally have it complete and organized that I couldn't wait until next week to share.  So, you get the closet today and the finished plank cubby on Monday.

This closet has truly made my life so much easier.  Gone are the days that I am sorting through bags and knocking over piles of chaos looking for what I need.  

I chose the Algot system from Ikea and although it's not as sturdy as the Elfa system from the Container store, it was much more cost effective.  I used Martha Stewart adhesive labels to label each basket, but good luck finding them if you want them in gold.  I picked up the last 3 packs from our local Staples store 2 weeks ago and haven't been able to get my hands on any since.  I went back to Staples on Tuesday hoping they restocked them and there were none.  I  checked online and the helpful lady at the store even checked for me and there were none in their warehouse or for order.  She thought maybe they were being discontinued.  So, if you find them, consider yourself lucky.  I ended up buying three more packs in brushed nickel and using rub n' buff to make them gold. 





The drawers give me a ton of storage  with room to grow.

I used pant hangers from Ikea to hang my larger pieces of fabric, while the smaller fabrics are in a drawer.



I added a few pieces of gold washi tape to the plain white magazine rack

Cans were covered in some of my favorite wrapping paper from Homegoods.
I also installed two shelves for added storage.  The glass containers hold thread, washi tape, extra knobs, jute and other odds and ends. 

The boxes store extra hardware and ribbon for wrapping presents.

The upper shelf holds 4 magazine boxes which store our taxes and magazines.
A metal trash can holds wrapping paper and my larger bolts of fabric.

I also hung a small basket on the wall above the trash can to store bows for wrapping gifts.
You can learn more about the free file cabinet makeover here.

This closet has come A LONG way in just a few short weeks. 
I can't believe I left it unfinished for so long.  It doesn't even look like the same space.  It's amazing how much your life changes with a little organization.  

5 comments:

  1. It looks amazing!!! I can only imagine just how much more usable this space is now. I love how you have room to grow too...something I often forget to save room for when I organize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I am in the midst if organizing my craft spaces so I keep checking out everyone else's doe ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with Algot! I've used it to organize some craft supplies as well as two closets in my bedroom. My first choice was the Container Store as well but that would have cost me around $1500! My IKEA solution cost less than $400 for two closets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found a HUGE bin of the Martha Stewart adhesive bookplates in gold (as well as lots of other labelling items) at Big Lots! recently. They were $1.50 a package.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! I paid $5.99 for a pack of 4! I might have to check out Big Lots! I never even thought of looking there. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete