Monday, March 31, 2014

{DIY} Teal and Coral Hooks...

Did you have a good weekend?  We dealt with rain all day Saturday then rain and snow on Sunday.  What is up with the weather in Maryland lately?  Winter just refuses to leave.  I had planned on getting wood to work on a project for my daughter's room, but that plan was nixed since it rained and snowed all weekend.   I was hoping the items I ordered for her room would have arrived by Friday so I could work on that instead, but they didn't come either.  So...I decided to work on something else for her room.   I really wanted to make hooks that she could actually reach on her own.  Currently, I have an over the door hook, which she can't reach by herself.  It's kind of hard to tell her to hang up her coat when she gets home from school or get her coat in the morning when she can't even reach it herself.  Not the ideal situation.  Most of the time her coat ended up on the floor or hung from her bedroom door handle.  I needed to create an area for her that was reachable and usable for her coat and school bags.
I took a trip to hobby lobby and picked up 4 knobs (50% off!) and 4 wood blocks.  I originally was thinking of using one long piece of wood, but I kind of liked the idea of having separate hooks. 

I ended up mixing together Sherwin Williams Jalapeno with Behr's Juicy Passionfruit to make the perfect coral color.   I then rubbed gold leaf Rub 'n Buff along the sides and sanded the edges and corners of each block.
Once the paint was dry I measured the center of each block and drilled a hole for the knob.  I used a drill bit that was smaller than the screw on the knob so that they fit tight and I didn't have to use glue.

 I knew the screw was going to be longer than the depth of the wood piece, but I had a plan...
I sawed them off.
I still felt like the hooks needed something more, so I added fun washi tape to the sides.

I originally planned on using picture hooks to hang them on the wall, but after nailing in the hooks then hanging them up I wasn't happy that they stuck out so far.  I had to resort to plan B.
I drilled holes in the back that were slightly larger than the head of the screw.  Since the hole was only slightly bigger, the blocks fit tight in the screws keeping them from shifting too much.  I also added command strips on the back to keep them in place and even on the wall.  This worked out perfectly.



Don't mind the frog tape, that's for another project.   The wall is currently looking pretty bare, but it's coming along.  I'm keeping my eye out for some fun artwork to hang above the hooks and once it stops raining I'll pick up the wood for the other side of the wall.

6 comments:

  1. Super cute! Love your color choices! Thanks for sharing with us at Your Designs This Time!

    Emily @ elizabethjoandesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great, love that color combination. Great idea to use the tape, nice detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cute hooks caught my eye over at the Link It Or Lump It Party. Love the idea of framing them up with pretty tape that coordinates so well with those pretty knobs - nice touch. The painters tape on the wall has me curious and I'll definitely be coming back to see what is in the works over there!
    Marie @ The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie for stopping by and for the nice comments! I guess I better get working on the wall project :)

      Delete