Wednesday, April 23, 2014

{DIY} Wood bookshelves...

One of the issues I had to deal with in my daughter's room was her collection of books.  I shouldn't complain that she loves to read, but the books were getting out of control.  I used to have an EXPEDIT shelving unit in her room, but it was taking up way too much space and kept getting full of junk.   Making long narrow shelves was the perfect solution to maximizing space and adding much needed book storage.  Once I figured out what I wanted, I made my list and headed out to Home Depot to get my supplies.

 (Material used are based on (4) 4 foot shelves, although I only ended up using 3 of the shelves)

(4) 1x4x8

(2) 1x2x8


Here's how to make the shelves:

Cut boards in half to make (8) 4 foot boards
Apply glue along the edge of one 1x4 board
 Clamp 2 1x4's together
 Drill about 6 pilot holes
Attach boards with 1 1/2 inch screws
Do the same with the 1x2

Once the glue was dry, I sanded the shelves lightly to get rid of the sharp edges then painted 3 coats of white semi-gloss.

I let everything dry and then it was time for the fun part, installing the shelves!  Using the same screws, I marked my studs and attached each shelf with three screws.  

My daughter was so excited to pick out which books were going on the shelves.





These shelves were the perfect solution to not only store and showcase my daughters favorite books, but they also free up valuable space in her room.  

9 comments:

  1. Great tutorial! I've been wanting to do something just like this in the nursery! ~ Erika @ http://www.yayforhandmade.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika! They are pretty easy to make and would look great in a nursery! Hurry up and make them :)

      Delete
  2. I like your version of these book ledges. :) I made two narrow ones for my daughter's room. It also worked to use wood glue and finish nails for us with the bottom piece sandwiched between the front and back. Love those gold dots! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne! I made the same version you are talking about for my son's room, which I plan on posting next week!

      Delete
  3. These are wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute and a great space saver! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job! These look very similar to the IKEA RIBBA picture ledge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you had a pin it button on this post! It's gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sarah! I have a pin it button on each picture, but don't think it works on mobile devices. I'll look into adding it to the top of each post!

    ReplyDelete